Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Pass on the Love That Has Been Given to You

On Friday, I received packages from Aunt Marsha and Team PJ-Katie. It felt incredible to receive gifts from home. These packages seem to say to me, “Home is still there.”

Aunt Marsha, always thoughtful, grounded, and considerate, gave me a beautiful gift filled with items that will help me educate my learners and community. She sent National Geographic and National Wildlife magazines, tons of stickers, cards with pictures of creatures from all over the world, soap made from goat’s milk (which puzzled the South Africans more than anything), a lovely note, and candy. I was so happy to share this package with my staff members. I opened the soap and had them smell it to prove that yes, indeed, goats milk could be an ingredient in soap; perhaps this could be a secondary project (a new product they could sell). They learned about the world as they flipped through the magazines together and asked me to tell them what was in the picture. After an hour of happily tasting American sweets, them choosing their favorite candy, and talking about the pictures in the magazines, my staff members approved of Aunt Marsha. (They told me this with glitter on their faces from the stickers!) Thank you, Aunt Marsha, for giving me an experience. You always seem to understand how to connect with others. I won’t forget how wonderful it was to share this gift with others. I promise to continue.

PJ and Katie sent me treats from Trader Joe’s, an awesome used cell phone holder (these are super popular here and are perfect for walking around the village), a CD, fancy soap (I’m starting to get the point, Guys. Don’t worry, I plan to continue with my bathing.), and pictures from Thanksgiving and them preparing to move to Alaska. The Salsa Verde takes a close second place favorite to the pictures. A photo finish, really. The pictures brought me back home. I now understand what Thanksgiving was like. Carol making sure Joey wasn’t ruining dinner, Swedish pancakes in the morning, the family visiting the home where Mom, Dad, and PJ lived when PJ was a newborn. I may not have been there, but I can feel how it must have felt to be together. What a gift, that is.

I know that you all in America are busy buzzing from here to there. Life, here, is much slower. I’ve sat in my pajamas for nearly four hours, just typing and making coffee, and don’t feel that there is much more to do today. Thank you for finding time to send me such thoughtful things. I am so blessed to have my incredible family and friends in my life. Your letters tell me how “inspirational” my work is. To tell you the truth, I don’t know if this is fair. You people, at home, inspire me to work harder here. I’m the only person Peace Corps gave to this village. What a shame it would be if I didn’t love these people and assist them. You’ve all taught me how to love and how to give. It is my hope that I can pass this on to my village.

Sometimes I get the line: “I’m sorry I haven’t written sooner.” Stop saying this. I can’t tell you how much I hang onto every word you write in e-mails and letters. I’m so lucky to hear from you whenever I get the privilege to do so. You’re cards, letters, and pictures decorate my kitchen. Thank you for taking the time to fill me in on your lives and keeping me up to speed. It is healthy that I hear about your moments in coffee shops and in bars. I sometimes worry that it’ll be hard for me to readjust to people walking on my paths, rather than cows. Anyways, it doesn’t matter how long it has been, it’s always wonderful to hear from you. So, thank you.

Aunt Marsha included a piece of paper that I hope to read every day. I send this same message to all of you. I hope it touches you, as it has and will continue to touch me. It reads:

‘May today there be peace within. May you trust that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith in yourself and others. May you use the gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you. May you be content with yourself just the way you are. Let this knowledge settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of us.’

1 comment:

  1. Wow. You nailed this one, Katie! The people.

    When I first began reading, I puffed out my chest and heard "born leader" roll through my mind, proud of my American daughter. But as I finished this entry, I drew in my breath and thought that your to-do list mom needs a lesson or two. You blow me away.

    May your journey bring you perspective, trust, and pleasure. Thank you for giving us your gift of insight.

    Much love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete