Sunday, January 16, 2011

Longtom

The Longtom is approaching. I signed up for this marathon during Pre-Service Training in hopes that I would keep up with my running. The Longtom is actually a half- and an ultra-marathon. I’ll participate in the half (all 21.1km of it!) on March 27th. The marathon is a fundraiser started by two Peace Corps Volunteers a few years ago, here in South Africa. The funds cover one needy child’s tuition to an excellent independent high school in Mpumalanga: Uplands College. The recipient will go through a four-tier application process. (It reminds me of the Peace Corps application: an almost never-ending process.) In order to participate, I have to raise a minimum of $100 USD. (Although this may not seem like a lot, it is more than my weekly allowance.) Check out the website if you are interested (www.klm-foundation.org). If you are able and willing to help sponsor me, I’d be honored. It’s tax-deductible. There are two ways to donate:
1. Go to www.klm-foundation.org and click on the “Donate” image. Type “Katie Petersen” into the white box of the runner you’d like to sponsor and provide payment information below.
2. Send a check and a message explaining that you’d like to sponsor “Katie Petersen” via post (to a US address).
Make checks payable to: "Kgwale Le Mollo (US)"
Address: KLM Foundation (US)
c/o Bowen Hsu
461 So. Bonita Avenue
Pasadena, CA 91107
____________________________________________________________________________________
Since I’ve arrived to Isandlwana, I’ve feared running alone. My front porch looks out onto the road that bends into the distance. I worry that I’ll encounter a person or a snake and no one will hear my whistle. Today, in spirit of training, I manned up and headed down the gravel road. I hit my stride and remembered how good it felt to get away. The distance between my thoughts seemed to lengthen out on the road with my iPod and whistle tucked away into my workout gear.

When I turned back home, I nearly fell over in awe. The sun, in all its glory, was on its way to the hiding spot for the evening, tucked just behind Mount Isandlwana. My village felt like a treasure that had been entrusted to my care. I’m not a fool who believes that it is my duty to take care of Isandlwana. It is quite the opposite way around here: this village takes care of me. I’ll never run without my whistle nearby, but I know these people care for my safety and my health. I am excited to start running again. I’m glad my training is for a good cause, helping to provide an unimaginable education to a deserving child. I look forward to starting out 2011 in my running shoes, taking time to unwind and let my thoughts breathe.

When I reentered my section of town, I was greeted by gogos, babas, and numerous children. “Khethiwe, uyagijima!” (Khethiwe, you are running!) Everyone was proud of my workout. I turned down my path while listening to R. Kelly’s “Sign of a Victory,” a song from the FIFA World Cup:

(Zulu calling and cheering)

I can see the colors of the rainbow
I can feel the sun on my face
I see the light at the end of the tunnel
And I can feel heaven in this place
That’s the sign of victory
That’s the sign of victory

I can feel the spirit of the nations
I can feel my wings riding the winds
I see the faintest light just up ahead now
I can feel it rising deep within
That’s the sign of victory
That’s the sign of victory

Now I can see the distance of the journey
And how you fought with all your might
You opened your eyes to global warming
And through it all you sacrificed your life
That’s the sign of victory
That’s the sign of victory

No comments:

Post a Comment