Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Just What I Needed

Yesterday, I arrived here, at Fugitive’s Drift Lodge, to meet the inner working-bees that make the David Rattray Foundation hum. Ben, the man who requested volunteers/my “South African uncle”, and Nicky, David’s wife(who seems to do everything), had invited us to join them and others at their 5-star resort for an evening. If my calendar wasn’t already wide-open, it would be made so in order to attend. Other characters present included: Tom, ex-CEO of NedBank, and his wife, Sheila, together they seem to swoop into the picture, drop loads of cash, and communicate a perfectly thought-out strategy for these needy schools and surrounding community; Craig, who has traveled all over Africa setting up computer labs and introducing state-of-the-art technology to under-privileged areas worldwide; Mike, a white South African living among the Zulus (an epic statement) who trains locals (providing certification) to build rammed-earth buildings (an economic and environmental masterpiece); and Nomvusa, the black South African women (who seemed to have a trail of fairy dust floating behind her) responsible for the highly impactful teacher trainings, which she provides to over 30 schools nationwide, including the Foundation’s 15 schools. Needless to say, the room seemed to radiate opportunity, change, and power. Our hearts harmoniously beat as one, or so it felt to me.

As I soaked in my bath today, I thought, THIS is what I needed…


Warm, almost too hot, bath water combined with exquisite sea salts and lavender in an extra long tub...
A lovely shower…
Large, (well, normal sized), fluffy towels...
Top quality linens...
(Too much) delicious red wine, enjoyed around an evening campfire…
A 5-course dinner that ended in a finale of at least 9 different types of cheese, a variety of crackers, coffee (or tea if I preferred), and chocolate mousse topped in mint leaf)…
All of this surrounded in breathtaking views of the mountains and wildlife that only African hills offer when you are situated in the middle of a reserve (hosting giraffes, zebras, horses, cows, and even a leopard).

This, all extremely delightful, was not needed (no matter how many cold bucket baths I’ve taken recently).

I needed to listen to Christian tell the dinner table why he joined Peace Corps. I needed to listen to the Foundation’s dire need for his technical skills and intelligence. I needed to room with Anna and talk about how hard, and good, it is to be here. I needed to hear her say “No decision you make is wrong; you will always learn from any experience.” I needed to hear Chad tell me that I “light up a room and bring out pure happiness in people.” I needed to feel the dreams, infrastructure, and family behind my service. This is what I needed.

Life, for me, has always been about the people. I have had my moments, the last few weeks, worrying that I made a wrong decision by coming here and leaving behind the people at home. I wondered if I was swimming upstream by being here. I needed to know that the ebb and flow has carried me ashore to the culture I have been longing for. The currents of this mission are colliding perfectly for my arrival. It is time for me to live among the people, network with my Western friends, and listen to my community to establish sustainable change. What I believe is God has once again given me life and people. The waters of my bath, as wonderfully luxurious as they are, are not as marvelous as the knowing that this odyssey, in fact, is not a mistake. This is what I needed.


Thanks to my LORD who knows my needs before I do, for preparing this work, for bringing me here, and keeping me safe. This is the pure sweetness of serving others: realizing how much it has truly served one’s own soul.

1 comment:

  1. Khethiwe,

    I love reading your blog, your emails, just about anything Africa from you. We are so proud of your courage and your attitude. Truly, you're a model for so many of us back home complaining about full calendars, too many to-do's on our lists, workloads, not (ever) enough money. Bucket by bucket. Thanks for the reminder to count our blessings. Happy Thanksgiving, our little PCV! Much love, Your fam

    ReplyDelete