Friday, July 9, 2010

T Minus 3 Days

The sand is running low. With my free time I jolt into Target and quickly stock up on about $200 of random items I may need. I race through Bellevue throwing my money at Marmot, Office Depot, and even Toys R Us. At this point my "to pack" piles are growing at an exponential rate, regardless of the 80-pound limit Peace Corps has placed on me. I'm filling my nerves with material objects.

My days are packed with plans. Haircut. Last minute shopping. Lunch with Mom. Happy hour with Liz. Baseball game with Annie and Steph. Hang out with Colin. Peace Corps paperwork. Returns. Exchange USD into Rand. Copies at Kinkos. Call Peace Corps. Call Aunt Judy. The hours are racing. The heat is in full gear. The hottest days of the summer trick me into believing that summer is just beginning. In a few days, I'll be flying to winter.

Last night was my last date with Colin, or at least for two years. What a perfect summer night. He had Sunflowers and chocolates for me upon arrival. Dinner was at our favorite Italian restaurant; wine followed where we had our first date. We walked in the warm summer air hand in hand. Surreal.

Everything always feels perfect right when it's time to go.

1 comment:

  1. Katie,

    I miss you already, just wanted to check on the blog. I saw a great update from Connie Peterson and although she said the blog has yet to be updated I wanted to write something to you. I am glad you're doing well and learning a new language, even though I am ASIAN, I can really only speak one language and my culture is basically... well... white. I hope you have a great experience during these 2 years. Take care! ASIANS!

    Greg Uratsu

    ReplyDelete